Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

About the title...

You may wonder if I mean that literally...  That God calls me 'Honey.'  And the answer is yes.  Yes, I do.  And yes, He does.

My thought life is frenetic, cluttered and scattered, and my head is rarely a calm, soothing place to reside.  Like most women, I have 100 different thoughts on 100 different subjects swirling around up there a mile a minute at any given time.  My 'thought voice' is me, but on crack.  With ADHD.  After too much caffeine. 

Here's a sample...  You ready?
Oooh, that man makes me so darn ma-- hey, write down toothpaste on the list-- where's my cell phone?-- Lord, I'm scared about Evan going into the Ar-- I'm so sick of these kids never picking up after themse-- green paint would look pretty in this roo-- Oh! Remind Liv to call Melissa abou-- I should do baked beans instead of potatoes for di-- Where's the dog?
If there was a way to show those thoughts overlapping, I would.  And Heaven help me if something shiny catches my eye.  There are times when I can over think myself into a near-breakdown.  But then...

A calm, peaceful voice filters through the craziness of my thoughts.  It plunks down right smack dab in the middle of all that mess.  It is, of course, my voice.  But then again, it's not.  It's everything I wish my thought voice could be.  It is not rushed, shrill or worried.  It is peaceful. It is assured.  It is soothing.  It is His voice, wrapped up in my own.  And when this voice- that's mine, but isn't- begins to speak, it always starts with, "Honey..."  As in, "Honey, you know that wasn't a very nice thing to say.  You need to calm down before you speak again and apologize."  Or "Honey, you don't have to be afraid. Trust me.  I've got this."  And that's how I know it's Him (and not one of my 100 rabbit trails of craziness)- by the name 'Honey.'  Because, after all, why would I call myself Honey?  The names I call myself are rarely that kind. 

You may think I'm crazy.  That's okay.  I've shared this information with others and got the look a few times. You know... That look that suggests I'm either nuts or just horribly misguided. And I've gotten a few eyebrows raised in piety that seem to say, "HOW DARE YOU!? How dare you suggest that GOD ALMIGHTY would call you Honey."

But He does.  And you wanna know why?  He loves me.  That's all there is to it.  He LOVES me!  He speaks to me in a way that helps me to separate His voice from my own because He wants me to hear Him.  He wants me to respond to Him.  He wants me to know Him.  Is that so crazy? 

So... How does God speak to you?  What does He call you?  Maybe you struggle to grasp the fact that God Almighty even knows your name.  Or that He may have a special nickname just for you?  But I'll bet He does!  And He wants you to hear it. 

If you've never "heard" Him say your name before, ask Him today to make His voice clear to you; to help you differentiate between your own frenzied, hectic thoughts and His peaceful, calming voice.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey! (ooops, sorry, I'm not God. That was awfully presumptuous of me...)
Just wanted to say I've popped over and I'm excited about your new blog because I love reading everything you write AND I love God and so how cool that the two shall intersect? But I'm actually supposed to be doing writing homework right now, so I can't stay... but I shall think on this topic... does God call me anything? Good question! I'll be back!